Thursday, October 21, 2004

I know I did this a while ago, but it's fun, and we all have more than one book (i assume), so let's do it again.

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 23.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence as a comment on my blog.
5. Post the text of the sentence on your own blog, along with these instructions.

Mine:
Likewise, his body bore a kind of history: the tatoo with my mother's name on it he'd had done as an eighteen-year-old marine during World War II, the perfectly trimmed mustache I used to watch him darken with my mother's mascara when he was younger than I am and I was younger than my children are.
- Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley's:
"These changes will be made because, as we better understand the interaction between people and their music, it will become evident that we musicians must know more about people, how people resond to structured sounds through music, and how people must have music for their biological, psychological, sociological, and spiritual well-being."
The Psychology of Music by Donald Hodges
(Actually, I cheated - pg. 23 was a list of references, so I just flipped and pointed!) :) But I did pick a good one!
Fun idea!

JESS said...

"And you off buying stolen cauldrons! Didn't I tell you not to go? Didn't I?"
-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix


I deliberately refrained from choosing a legal psych book and since they were equadistant, I figured I'd save yall.

Anonymous said...

Leah's

"I should tell the rest - but won't she turn me on, like they did?"

uhh huh, this is a book i borrowed from my friend joanna...hmm....havent read it yet.... :)

Anonymous said...

"An early symptom of pregnancy for some women is nausea, with or without vomiting."
- Your Pregnancy week by week

Sorry...you did say the nearest book. ;-)

Your cute pregnant cousin Jen

matt said...

Elsewhere I have suggested that the foreclosure of homosexuality appears to be foundational to a certain heterosexual version of the subject.

Judith Butler, The Psychic Life of Power.

Erudite Redneck said...

"To elaborate is no avail, learn'd and unlearn'd feel that it is so."
-- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself" from "Leaves of Grass.

(Awesome idea!)

Erudite Redneck said...

"Within the earth was the molten core of Hell, where the damned dwelt as far away from God as possible."
-- Robert Bucholz and Newton Key, "Early Modern England, 1485-1714: A Narrative History."