Friday, November 05, 2004

The New York Times > Opinion > Op-Ed Columnist: Two Nations Under God

"This was not an election. This was station identification. I'd bet anything that if the election ballots hadn't had the names Bush and Kerry on them but simply asked instead, "Do you watch Fox TV or read The New York Times?" the Electoral College would have broken the exact same way.

My problem with the Christian fundamentalists supporting Mr. Bush is not their spiritual energy or the fact that I am of a different faith. It is the way in which he and they have used that religious energy to promote divisions and intolerance at home and abroad. I respect that moral energy, but wish that Democrats could find a way to tap it for different ends."

1 comment:

JESS said...

From an email I got today in response to my assurance that I did my part as Miami-Dade went for Kerry...

"But my CITY as a whole went for Kerry, elected Doug Wilder as its first Mayor and returned its black congressman -- Bobby Scott -- to office. You know, as I think about my city, and yours, it makes me think of Richard Florida's "creative class" of people. With the exception of Atlanta, Austin, Miami, and Houston, it seems to me that there aren't any "creative class" centers in any of those damn Red states. Hmmnnn. All the talk of "moral values" also drives me crazy. Ya mean like honesty? How about tolerance? Gee, I'd better quit before I get even more depressed. I, for one, am leaving my Kerry bumper sticker on for the next four years. And I'm saving one to put on my suitcase the next time I go to Europe."

Here's what I have to remember. No one is looking at this election from our point of view. We really are at the top eschelons of society because we actually give a flying fuck about the implications. And lets be honest, how many of us, even in academia, think of what we think about? So, can I blame the rest of the world for being uncritical? for putting out crappy defenses of bush? and for voting for him? I'm struggling with that. Is that that they can't or won't conceptualize life as we do? So what are we left with? We need to step up and redefine these moral values (and not in a bushian way). We need to step up and teach others how we are thinking critically about this. We need to step up and fight and not back down. I really think that we (as academics) are in some of the best positions to fight back because we have the room to. Society gives us leeway and the time to think about everything (implications or none). And we are blessed with the power of the pen. We can put our ideas out there and they are going to click with someone. I have to believe that what I'm doing will and can make a difference. And thats all I got. After that, its all wine, sex, studying, and sleeping.