Wednesday, May 11, 2005

1/3 Divine

Master of Divinity. It sounds as if when I graduate, I will be a goddess, controlling the orbits of the planets, accepting sacrificial offerings, and throwing down lightning bolts when offended. I haven't gotten to those courses quite yet, but I have finished my first year of graduate school, and so can properly classify myself as 1/3 divine.

And, I suppose I've learned a couple of things over the course of this year, despite my reluctance to do so.

  • There is so much I don't and can't ever know, and I'm glad.
  • Talking theology is an oxymoron.
  • Living directly across the street from a fire station is neither as annoying nor as fulfilling as you might think.
  • Home is neither here nor there, but some amorphous space in between.
  • Prison is generally scary. Prisoners generally aren't.
  • Eating together is much more profound than we realize.
  • Boys are friends, too.
  • I love books. I knew this before, but I really love books.
  • In a disconnected, far-away existence, cell phones are amazing.
  • I like being an adult.
  • I hate being an adult.
  • Coffee shops should perhaps replace churches.
  • William and Mary is an exceptional place. I knew this before, too, but didn't realize exactly how exceptional it was until I came somewhere else.
  • Jean Calvin was, for the most part, grossly and dangerously mistaken.
  • I am who I am because of Roanoke, Virginia, and a few people there.
  • Life is chaos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart you b:) and I miss wm too, though probably for different reasons.

Erudite Redneck said...

Speakin' as one who is half erudite and half redneck, I admire yer third divinity. Keep on keepin' on!