Monday, August 22, 2005

23.

On a Sunday morning twenty-three years ago today, so the story goes, my grandmother answered the phone at First Church of the Brethren.

"When are you coming to see your new granddaughter?" my dad asked her.

"Well," she replied, "whenever she's born, I suppose."

"She's here."

JoJo yelled, hung up the phone, and proceeded to announce to the entire church that she had a granddaughter. My life had officially begun.

Maybe your birthday is supposed to be a day of reflection, or of listing off aspirations. It is, essentially, your own personal New Year's Day - maybe you're supposed to make resolutions, set out your five year plan, or at least decide what this next year of your life should look like.

One thing I've learned this last year, though, is that while reflection and aspiration, plans and decisions have their place, celebrating and living whatever life comes along is a lot more fun. Today, I'm celebrating. I'm happy and grateful and overwhelmed that all these people I love...love me back.

4 comments:

JESS said...

stalin had a five year plan. it didn't work.

so enjoy today and celebrate the moment.

Anonymous said...

haha, nice jess.

yes, enjoy it. wish we could be there to celebrate with you.

kmrod

Anonymous said...

"to love and be loved in return" - you do and you are.

Always,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I love you B!
-Ash