Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Restless

I think my biorhythms have been shaped by academic calendars.

Every year around this time, I get restless. The break that my faculties applauded two and a half months ago has stretched too long, leaving me stir-crazy, looking for some outlet for this abundance of pent-up energy.

I'm not great at entertaining myself. I can take it for a while. I can enjoy the lack of direction, the lack of purpose, the amorphous "chilling." But only for so long. I need a telos. I need someone to hand me a syllabus detailing my intellectual growth process over the next three months. Tell me what to read! Lecture about interesting things! Give me a paper to write! An exam to study for! I want to learn things! I want to think about something!

Thank God classes start in two weeks.

2 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

I am so jealous of you gettin' to go back to class. I am having withdrawals, myself, since wrapping up a master's in December. :-( Hey, you should come by my joint and contribute yer 2 cents to the post, "Jesus is a liberal." :-)

John said...

MORE UPDATES!!!!!