Friday, September 09, 2005

Back to School

Ah, autumn. The humidity has finally relented, classes have started, and I've purchased new jeans, new pens, and lots of new books. Fall is here.

This is, by far, my favorite season. Fall means crisp air, changing leaves, and going to school. It means applebutter making and football games, indian summers and reading books. It energizes me.

I can't really decide which idea became associated with which. I mean, did I always relish the crispness of autumn air, or did I only come to appreciate it after I realized that it meant learning and tailgating were imminent? Who knows?

But here I am, in my cordouroy skirt (the quintessential fall fabric) and flipflops (evidence of the still-warm sun), getting ready to crack open the first in a long line of thick Kierkegaard books, searching for a place with cable to watch some Hokie football this weekend, wishing I could practice some late-night figure-eight applebutter stirring.

So long, summer.

No comments: