Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Diversity Exhausts Me.

Yesterday, I pissed off an entire class of black women, laughed alone at a Puerto Rican woman's unintentionally funny story*, took communion from an AME bishop, had an intriguing conversation with an Orthodox Jew, and aired my sectarian tendencies.

Here's my conclusion: Everybody's different.

*While explaining how she came to be a fan of film, she told the class that her mother had prohibited her to watch movies when she was young because of the family's prohibitive pentecostal faith. Movies were sinful. A rebellious girl, the woman went to the drive-in against her mother's wishes - terrified the entire time that God would strike her down during West Side Story. Miraculously, she survived. "So, how did that experience affect your spiritual formation? What did it mean for you?" the professor asked.

Her response, tinged with a Puerto Rican accent, was simple:

"God did not kill me, so I watch movies."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

and it took all of that to figure it out - i thought your dad really pounded that into our heads pretty well! :)

JESS said...

Personally, I want the story on how you pissed off an entire class of black women.

Nicole said...

Nice. Sounds like you had an average Candler day! ;)

Karen said...

I'm with Jess!

Dave Scott said...

You were right to laugh at her story. I laughed out loud just reading your account of it.

Nicole said...

So, you know what exhausts me? Pastoral Authority...

Dana said...

oh dear god, yes. if we have to discuss pastoral authority ONE MORE TIME, i'll most likely start throwing those wheelie chairs at someone's head.