Friday, April 21, 2006

Anesthetization

I spent the morning at the oral surgeon's with Jay, who had two wisdom teeth removed. The surgery only lasted 20 minutes, but the anesthesia is serious stuff. Beth and I walked into the recovery room, where Jay was trying to shake off the fuzziness. Finally succeeding in getting his eyes to open, he tried to lift his hand.

"What are you trying to do?" we asked.

"I need to get my eyes out of my hair," he slurred, mistakenly. His right hand couldn't quite make it all the way to his forehead, so he looked down at his left and issued a call to action:

"Help him! He's your friend!"

Already amused, Beth and I cracked up.

"What are you laughing for?" Jay asked. "They're friends, they live in community together. I mean, I shake other people's hands all the time, but I never shake my own..."

Pearls of anesthetized wisdom.

1 comment:

JESS said...

quality. :c) it doesn't get any better than post-operative discourse. I distinctly remember my latest included asking my gurney driver if he was a boston fan and promptly introducing him to my mom as my friend...which I'm thinking she didn't so much expect given that I had just come out of surgery. I'm just so dashing in that anesthetized glow.