Sunday, June 04, 2006

it's a small world, after all

Life keeps circling itself, getting closer and closer to itself, concentrated and stealthily.

In the last several days, I've found:

  • my old boyfriend, John Mayer, playing guitar on the new Dixie Chicks album - two standards in my music library finally coming together
  • the angel-obsessed Rilke (whose words have been imprinted into my memory) admiring the sculpture of the hand-obsessed Rodin (whose works I just discovered at the Met)
  • an essay by Richard Neuhaus comparing Kierkegaard (whose books sit impressively on my shelf, taking up an entire row, after last semester's seminar) to Flannery O'Connor and the Catcher in the Rye (both of which I've been recently introduced to)

Why is it that the people I like all seem to like one another? Is it synchronicity? Coincidence? Or just proof that my world really is a lot smaller than I like to think?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Can I just say that I love both John Mayer and the Chicks. I love the Chicks new album and will be looking for that John Mayer playing! Sweet.