Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Boys are Back in Town

Another school year rolls around, and I can smell it in the air.

There are little clusters of people on the street corners around campus - uncertain freshmen trying to look like they know what they're doing, and their parents, whose frantic wild-eyed looks make it pretty obvious that they have no clue.

Those looks make me cringe a little, because I've done that - twice. And neither attempt was particularly enjoyable. But then the little twinge of sadness and abandonment and regret gives way to excitement - this means school is about to start! I can buy new books, and read them! I can buy new pens, and write interesting things with them! I can satisfy my unchecked curiousity with some structured, substantive learning.

And, it means that people are returning from their summer adventures. School is about to start, and the boys are back in town. Spread the word around.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Enjoy that last first day, my friend. They come and go too quickly. This is my first of a "no first day of school" years, and it's a little bit meloncholy. Live it abundantly!