Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Dog Days

August is here. The summer is wearing on, gloriously empty and fiercely hot. The mono is (mostly) gone, my days are no longer filled with laughing African teenagers, and I have resumed work on my neglected summer projects.

I had several projects planned for this summer: become a baseball fan, learn to enjoy beer, get serious about writing, watch the top 100 movies of all time, and read as many of the books stacked in piles around my room as possible. Mono and employment distracted me for a while, but now I’m back in form, and updating you on my progress.

I just finished Sarah Vowell’s Assassination Vacation. Any book that can make me laugh out loud that frequently scores points. I’m moving on now to Graham Greene’s The Power and the Glory, “his masterpiece,” according to John Updike. Don’t worry, theology nerds, I’m supplementing all this humor and fiction with James McClendon’s Ethics.

The most recent movie from the list was Unforgiven, with Clint Eastwood. Part of the point of the movie watching is to learn to appreciate all the parts of making a good film, but I get hung up on the storyline and characters. Why are there so many westerns on the list? And why do we identify so much with the closed-mouthed, gun-slinging outlaws?

I’ve faced a major setback in the serious writing department, as I neglected to back up my files and lost the little blue and green flash drive that held all of my writing from the beginning of the summer. Alas. Now I’m discouraged and at a loss for subject matter, but writing nonetheless.

Beer and baseball have been put on the back burner for a while, since leaving the house and drinking alcohol were difficult due to the mononucleosis. But I’m planning trips to Turner Field, and enjoyed a Blue Moon last night.

I’ve also been spending time on a project from the spring: finding new music. You might have noticed the little blue box there on the sidebar. Those are my Pandora radio stations – click on one of them and listen to the music that I’m listening to. Thanks to Pandora, the free music at the Dekalb County Library, and the extensive music libraries of J and John, I’m broadening and refining quite a bit.

Still another month or so until school starts, and I intend to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Unforgiven? Not even his best effort.