Thursday, October 19, 2006

Filler

This week, I have:

  • gone from miserably ill to once again able to breathe with nasal regularity
  • co-created and participated in the inaugural game of BURNball
  • heard horrific Holocaust memories from a hidden child survivor
  • been completely awestruck by the idea of the Holy Spirit
  • gained a new appreciation for Bob Dylan (listen to With God on Our Side, you will too)
  • aced a tragic multiple choice exam and failed a well-written short answer quiz
  • decided to spend CPE time at Grady, with the people who get their heads bashed against walls day after day after day.
  • heard one roommate make budweiser jokes in a sermon, and watched the other tackle a man 1.5 times her size.
  • suffered through temperature fluctuations of some 40 degrees in 24 hours, compounded by the end of air conditioning and return of the boiler
  • argued about the meaning of life, specifically this week in light of Qohelet's hevel
  • found sufficient free time to write this completely insignificant but somewhat informative blog post.

6 comments:

Dave Scott said...

I've been telling people for years that "The Times They Are A-Changin'" is THE BEST Dylan album.

Did I give you a copy of my Reflective (though not Mellow) Mix? If so, "Boots of Spanish Leather" closes that disk out. Like "With God on Our Side," that song exemplifies why that album is so awesome. Beth needs to follow your lead in embracing her homeboy Bob, cuz he's written some deeply touching, thoughtful music.


On another note, I wish I could have seen Beth tackle Ogle. He doesn't look very sturdy but he is quite tall. How exactly did she fell that red-headed tree?

Dana said...

I think I heard parts of your Reflective (though not Mellow) Mix, but I don't own it. Alas.

Ogle was actually sitting on my bed when Beth tackled him. He fell over and popped right back up, much like a Weeble (you know, they wobble but don't fall down) or child's punching bag. Since then, she's also used the same tactic to tackle both Craig and Russell. All equally hilarious.

Nicole said...

Yes, earlier this week, when it reached 80, I was mourning the loss of our air conditioner. I didn't realize that it wasn't really working for quite a while.

These peoplare from Georgia...shouldn't they know better than to turn off the air completely until November? Sheesh.

Beth said...

Two things:
1) it is not Bob Dylan's creative genius that I do not embrace, but rather his abrasive vocal stylings that annoy the hell out of me.

2) turns out I love tackling people.

Dave Scott said...

Well, Beth, you're certainly not the first to be put off by Bob Dylan's unorthodox vocal stylings.

I am sympathetic to your situation of disliking a band or artist's vocals too much to enjoy whatever positive elements their music may possess. Smashing Pumpkins, The Toadies and Iron Maiden are three bands I can think of off the top of my head that I would appreciate a great deal more if I didn't have such problems with their respective vocalists.

Dana, sorry to turn your blog into a message board. But, then again, if you'd be more current with your posts, I wouldn't have to keep commenting on the same one. ;)

Dana said...

No worries, I like the message board quality.

Sometimes posting is hard when there's too much to say.