Friday, March 02, 2007

Some Things

  • This summer I'll be a chaplain at Grady Hospital, immersed in what the chaplain who interviewed me yesterday called "a mass of teeming humanity."
  • The prospect of doing something with my life other than reading and writing and arguing doctrinal points excites me more than I can tell you.
  • Dave Scott has been visiting apartment K this week, sleeping on our couch, telling hilarious stories, drinking white russians, laughing a lot, and generally reminding us why we miss his presence so.
  • Eating bacon together is just as holy as partaking in a so-called "sacrament."
  • I must write approximately 27 pages between now and Thursday, arguing several doctrinal points:
    • 2 6-page midterm essays on the Apocalyptic Imagination of Daniel, Enoch, and the Qumran literature
    • 1 5-page explanation of how an integration model is the best framework to view the interaction between science and theology
    • 1 5-page exegesis paper on Romans 12
    • 1 5-page analysis of the ways in which Marcus Aurelius' stages of meditation are evident in Anselm's Proslogion.
  • I'm currently experiencing an acute case of senioritis. Symptoms include all around academic apathy and engaging in ugly showdowns with TAs.
  • Maybe God isn't quite a process, but simply created us to be co-creators.
  • Next week is Meg's wedding weekend extravaganza. I will wear a pretty dress, attend many fancy functions, get to see Meg and Sarah and Brad and Rob, spend time in the Commonwealth, and celebrate love.
  • Theology's existence is entirely dependent upon the context of the church.
  • On March 15th, I'm going to ECUADOR! Leah's promised to take me to here.
  • I've had an odd craving for beef as of late...iron deficiency or desire to mock John's vegetarianism?
  • J's 27th birthday is tomorrow. Since I sometimes wonder how such a living contradiction makes it from one day to the next, this is indeed something to celebrate.
  • The psalms are growing on me, and the birds still sing.
  • We desire what we lack. Apparently, I consistently lack grace, humility, a completed degree program, bacon, a good night's sleep, and chocolate cake.
  • The sun is shining, spring has sprung, and I am seasonally affected.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Congrats on the Grady thing! yay!

Anonymous said...

B, I did not know you had a blog. I also did not understand any of the school work you said you had to do! I enjoyed the pics of you and Karen on Leah's blog.

Sandra

Erudite Redneck said...

Re, "Maybe God isn't quite a process, but simply created us to be co-creators."

Nodding head, stroking beard, tending to agree.

Glad to hear yer going to do some chaplaining. They can be godsends to patients' families ... and survivors.