Sunday, August 26, 2007

Buckeyed

An update on the Northern Jaunt:

Kmrod and I (and Ernie) had a lovely time in D.C., shopping at farmer's markets, walking around Del Ray, eating homemade custard, drinking wine and chatting non-stop. This morning, we made chocolate-chip pancakes and wandered around her new neighborhood for a bit. Then I hit the road, and after a few wrong turns inside D.C., drove through sunshine and green hills all the way to Columbus. It feels like October here, despite the day's heat advisory and the local schools' postponement of classes because of excessive temperatures. John's apartment is pretty sweet, and the grocery just across his parking lot will certainly work well with his lifestyle (often forgetful and occassionally spontaneous).

Now, we're hanging out in the courtyard, stealing someone's wireless signal and enjoying the night. The building beside me has a portico framed by archways and a lighted cupola at the top, and this combination of architecture, temperature and time of year is creating this weird longing for William and Mary. I've been in school for so long that by the end of August, my entire being shifts into high academic gear. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself these next few weeks when no syllabi appear and no one volunteers to direct my intellectual energies. Only time will tell.

No comments: