Monday, December 14, 2009

backlog

Rush. When did you get your best rush of the year?

My answers are all going to start sounding the same, and reduce a year full of excitement into a blog full of redundancy. Nonetheless. I've thought and re-thought this answer, and always end up returning to performing Katie and Ernie's wedding in August. I was nervous for a thousand different reasons, not least of which was that both families are Catholic and as such quite unfamiliar with any sort of female clergy. Also, I'd never done it before. Also, we created the liturgy from scratch. I borrowed a gown and bought a stole. And it's one big responsibility, making sure that everything happens according to plan and, you know, legally. So I was anxious. But the moment that the doors to the sanctuary opened and Ernie started walking down the aisle with his parents, it was as if I - Dana - simply ceased to exist. I was there, of course, instructing the congregation and watching my friends profess their love to one another right in front of my face, but at the same time, I wasn't. It was a moment - one of those that tend to be indecipherable and indescribable. A moment where I was present but permeable, witnessing and testifying to something mysterious and tangible, all at the same time. Things collided, and it made such sense and it was completely senseless.


No comments: