Tuesday, December 08, 2009

bless the lord, my soul, who leads me into life

Moment of Peace: An hour or a day or a week of solitude. What was the quality of your breath? The state of your mind? How did you get there?

In October, I got to spend four days as a group leader at an FTE VEV event in Minneapolis. Our twice-daily worship was led by a professor who spent several dozen years as a brother at Taize, the ecumenical community of monks in France whose worship is contemplative and reflective and beautiful. We chanted hymns over and over and over in a darkened, candlelit chapel, and after days packed full of travel and action, the quiet and stillness was a welcome respite. It's hard to let the contents of my head settle on my own - I need some structure and permission and encouragement. Worship - done well - provides that. I sat and settled. I rested.

3 comments:

bekah said...

I had the same experience at the NCC/CWS GA in Minneapolis last month. We had a Taize service led by a former brother (same brother? was yours from Mpls?) in the middle of the crazy, hectic week. I could not believe the relaxation I experienced! I was certainly energized for the rest of the day! (I think it helped that I knew all of the music so I didn't have to open my eyes through the entire service :) ahhhh)

Dana said...

Yep, probably the same brother. He teaches liturgy at Luther Sem. in Minneapolis. Gorgeous, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, B,
I'm glad to know a young(er) person who sees the value of having periods of inactivity, both for the health of your self & for the purpose of worship. Our culture values activity & productivity to such an extent that most of us feel guilty when at rest. The need for re-creation becomes all the more important in such a culture.
Trisha