Monday, December 14, 2009

feng shui

What’s the best change you made to the place you live?

Aside from getting my own, the best change to my place has been the gathering, cataloging and shelving of all my books. This is no easy task, mind you, as my library has been scattered across three states for the last several years, and I can hardly spend an entire week in my own house. BUT. Finally, after years of diaspora, my books are categorized and alphabetized. They're even placed around my house based on the parts of life for which I use, need, or read them: poetry, fiction, memoir and children's favorites in the living room; community, spiritual practice and portions of applicable theology in my office; philosophy, biblical commentaries, Church Fathers and general non-fiction in the bedroom. Honestly, the physical organization has cleared up a ton of mental (and perhaps emotional?) clutter. I don't know how that works, but I swear to you that it is true.

No comments: