Saturday, August 21, 2010

some satisfactions and astonishments

(from the 28th year)

Some satisfactions...
  • to have lived alone, happily.
  • to have traveled internationally, alone, happily.
  • to have literally worn my clothes out, thriftily, simply.
  • to have mastered the art of packing lightly.
  • to have fallen in love with a place, my place.
  • to have spent Lent intentionally whirling myself to Mississippi, Michigan, Miami, Paris.
  • to live amongst these mountains.
  • to have learned my job, and to have begun to understand what it is I am to do.
  • to have spent good and generous time with my grandparents.
  • to have extended an invitation to pay attention to the Holy, by blowing bubbles or hugging a tree or playing with chalk.
  • to have shed some bitterness, cynicism, sharp edges.

...and astonishments:
  • muscle memory
  • the St. John's Bible
  • Monet's waterlilies, in person
  • that people - humanity in general - might be enjoyable
  • feeling the Spirit flow freely as two friends marry one another, as I marry two friends
  • water, clear and cold, flowing from mountain streams
  • opening my mouth and hearing my lips declare God's praise
  • how deeply and kindredly souled my friends are, admit to being
  • the intermingling of brokenness and beauty, in people, in the world
  • that my legs and lungs are capable of becoming a runner, that my muscles will gratefully obey the demands of yoga
  • a front yard filled with fireflies
  • a tiny spark of patriotism lodged within my own anabaptist heart
  • german cheese, french coffee, european sunshine
  • the sun, rising and setting again and again, breaking in with the beautiful every day, just waiting to be noticed
  • that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else we hammer in between ourselves will finally be able to separate us from love, from the Love.

No comments: