Thursday, December 29, 2011

ask a better question, get a better answer

Who surprised you?

If we do this again, we're going to have to evaluate some of these prompts. This question would be better if it weren't about people...people are generally predictable - once you figure out how they act, they're likely to act that way most of the time. Their stories are sometimes surprising - it's that underlying motivation that intrigues and surprises me, figuring out why someone is who they are and what's surface level and what's deeper down.

So, with that in mind...I think volunteers discovering resilience and perseverance in the face of discomfort and failure delightfully surprised me, the people who make up the church surprised me in both good and awful ways, and several friends surprised me with the ability to be a big part of my life even from thousands of miles away.

No comments: